Centurion Weapon System
BattleMechs (BM), IndustrialMechs (IM)
Interstellar Operations (p. 85)
The Centurion Weapon System was devised in the late twenty-eighth century as a non-lethal means of disabling the advanced Star League military technologies that had proliferated throughout the Inner Sphere and Periphery. Practical testing and combat simulations quickly showed that even a modicum of electronics hardening and combat maneuvering would still render a target virtually invulnerable to this technology, but research continued nonetheless, and some systems even reached operational capability.
The Centurion uses a directed EMP to overload the electronic systems on a target unit, and delivers attacks in the same manner as a standard laser attack (though it cannot make use of a targeting computer). However, the weaponís effective range bands vary based on whether or not the target is susceptible or resistant to its effects. Susceptible targets may be affected at much greater ranges than those that are classified as resistant.
A unit is considered susceptible to the Centurion if any one or more of the following conditions apply:
- The unit uses Primitive technology or is built using the Primitive Units and RetroTech rules, or is built as a FrankenMech.
- The unit is a Support Vehicle without the Armored or Environmental Sealing chassis modifications.
- The unit has the EM Interference, Poor Life Support, Poor Sealing, Poor Workmanship, or Prototype Design Quirks.
- The unit is using Commercial or Industrial Armor, or has lost all armor in more than one location.
- The unit has suffered at least one sensor critical hit.
- The unit is operating with any form of partial repair effect.
- The unit is physically older than 150 years. (This detail should be determined in advance by the players.)
Infantry units (including battle armor), and aerospace units exceeding 200 tons in total weight, are automatically immune to the effects of the Centurion Weapon System. All other unit types not considered susceptible to the Centurion Weapon System are considered resistant to its effects.
Upon a successful hit, the player controlling the target unit must immediately make a shutdown roll as if the targetís heat level is 14 points higher than its current level. If the roll is successful, the unit continues to operate normally. If the roll fails, the unit shuts down at the end of the attack phase in which the hit occurred. The ďheatĒ generated by a Centurion attack is not affected by the normal limits on heat from external sources, and is not actually applied to the unitís heat scale; it merely represents the surge caused by the Centurionís EMP.
If the unit struck by a Centurion Weapon System does not use a heat scale (i.e. the target is a vehicle or a battle armor unit), ignore the heat scale rule and simply roll 2D6 against a target number of 4 to avoid shutdown.
If the weapon successfully hits a unit that is already shut down in the current turn (for whatever reason) the unit remains shut down throughout the following turn.
May be mounted on any available unit type in accordance with the unitís standard construction rules.